the old red cape

the old red cape
the old red cape

Monday, September 19, 2011

Italian Wedding Soup

Cool nights have arrived in New England and I am LOVING it! It is time for some soup!

This year my girls seem to be asking for soup which could not make me happier!!

I decided to mix it up and make Italian Wedding Soup.  For what it is worth I am of IRISH descent with an Italian last name... but even I like this soup!!

I started with my organic chicken stock (you can see how I made that HERE).


Then I rolled as many tiny little meatballs as I could.  I like to make these ahead and freeze them.

On their way into the oven:

On their way out:


Then following my recipe

Italian Wedding Soup

8-10 cups of Chicken Broth
1/2 cup chopped carrot
1/2 box frozen chopped spinach (defrosted)
24 mini meatballs
1-2 cups of Orzo pasta (uncooked)
parm cheese for garnish

Bring the broth to a boil.  Add all the other ingredients to the pot.  Stir occasionally so that pasta does not stick.  
Simmer for 20-30 minutes.  

Best served with fresh french bread.  Mmm Mmm Good!!


If you make your meatballs ahead of time this soup could not be easier to make.  Give it a try!

3 comments:

  1. I am drooling all over my laptop. I love Italian wedding soup!!! Can you guess what we will be having for dinner some time this week? ;) Thank you so much for sharing. I can't wait to taste it! Do you do anything special as far as ingredients in the meatballs? I make a killer chicken meatball with parm and homemade breadcrumbs...would that work?

    Oh and A side note. I thought of you and your New England weather today. I order the book practical magic because I love the movie and wanted to give it a go. Anywho, thinking of the movie made me kinda want to live in that type of environment. Hubby would never go for it though....he thinks it is too cold. And I thought Lucky Karen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ashley - I think any meatball that you like would be great. Yours sound great. The smaller the better.
    OH the weather has been wonderful... now we are just waiting for the leaves to start turning to match the cool air.

    ReplyDelete