the old red cape

the old red cape
the old red cape

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Chicken Soup for the Family

I say for the "family" because here in the Little Red House - it is about the only meal my whole family loves these days.  I should also add my Mom in this.  She says it is the best chicken soup she has ever had - and she is 80 years old so she has had a LOT of soup in her lifetime!

I start out with that FABULOUS Chicken Stock that I make HERE.

Ready Set - COOK! (This is one of those recipes that I say 'some' and a 'handful' in.  Just go with it.)

First I prep all my fresh ingredients.


I should note: the Mr. does NOT like onions.  SO I have learned to chopped them up VERY small.  He does not even know they are in there! Shhhhh!



I add some butter and olive oil to a hot pot.



First I add the onions to get them good and soft.

Then I add the celery for a minute or two, next comes the carrots.


I throw in a heaping TBSP of flour to 'thicken' things up a bit.



Next comes that Fabulous Stock!  Just pour it ALL in!

Once that is all stirred - its time to add some chopped chicken.



Last I add pasta.  Pasta of your choice really.  The girls like Orzo.  We like a LOT of pasta.  I add about two handfulls (maybe 1.5 - 2 Cups).


Then, bring to a low boil and keep stirring so pasta does not stick.  Let this go on for about 20-25 mins.  I do lower the heat once it 'boils'.

Salt and Pepper to your liking and PRESTO -


What CUTE dishes!


NOTE:  When chopping the veggies - if there are leftovers or unusable pieces- throw these into a Ziploc in the freezer.  These are the veggies I use in my Stock!


homework 
all crafts Homemade Projects ~ Add Yours {10/24} 

1 comment:

  1. Yumm! We just had your Itl. Wedding Soup last night. In my recipe book it is titled "Karen's Italian Wedding Soup" Thanks for all the great soup recipes!

    ReplyDelete