A new cook book I pre-ordered just arrived. It is Bob Warden's Great Food Fast - and it is ALL Pressure Cooking!! I spent the weekend thumbing through trying to decide which recipe to try first.
One thing that he updated well in this book is frozen cooking times. There is a chart that tells you how long to add on if you use frozen beef or chicken breasts and even a WHOLE roaster bird. Guess what I had in the freezer.
I put a frozen solid whole chicken in the pressure cooker. I added some spices, chicken broth & 2 tbsp of white wine. Once it got up to 40 PSI I cooked it for 25 mins + 15.
Then I checked it - it was up to 160 degrees. Popped it back in for another 10 mins and it was D O N E !! 60 mins total. Did I mention it was frozen solid? I find that my cooker takes at least 10 mins. to get up to pressure.
No, it does not look like a 'roasted chicken' but that was not the purpose of cooking it today. Had it not been frozen I could have taken the time to brown it on the breast a bit.
I plucked all that soft white cooked chicken off the bone then popped it back IN the pressure cooker with carrots, celery & onion. Covered it with water - and 15 mins (+10 to heat up) I had Homemade Chicken Stock!!
Yes, I went from frozen bird in my basement freezer to homemade chicken noodle soup in less than 2.5 hours!!
I have done NOTHING with a pressure cooker, but this is super super cool. I need to do some more research.:)
ReplyDelete